Monday, April 22, 2013


Racing Victoria’s Sarah Peatling profiles the 2013 VOBIS Gold Yearling Sale which commences on Sunday.
Victorian breeders put the polish on their golden stars as they prepare for the new Inglis VOBIS Gold Yearling Sale.
Fresh from a successful sales circuit on which Super VOBIS-qualified yearlings topped both the Inglis Australian Easter and Melbourne Premier Sale, Victoria now looks forward to hosting a new pot of gold – the Inglis VOBIS Gold Yearling Sale.
Trainers, owners and bloodstock agents have the opportunity to search for their next champion without having to spend a fortune on April 28 and 29 at Oaklands Junction.
Day 1 will comprise 200 select Super VOBIS-qualified and VOBIS Gold-eligible yearlings with Day 2 a quality mix of VOBIS and non-VOBIS yearlings on offer.
Kerrie-based Eliza Park, the home of Black Caviar’s sire Bel Esprit and other popular sires Magnus, Statue of Liberty and Wanted, has an impressive draft of youngsters eligible for the new VOBIS Gold scheme where owners can earn substantially more prizemoney through lucrative bonuses available for horses of all ages across 350 races in Victoria.
Eliza Park Sales and Nominations Manager Mark Lindsay, who attends all Australian yearling sales on behalf of the farm, believes buyers around the country are increasingly looking for horses who are qualified for schemes like Super VOBIS and VOBIS Gold because of the extra return on investment.
“No one is going to go broke breeding and buying a VOBIS horse,” Lindsay said. “Bel Esprit progeny has won a majority of Super VOBIS and VOBIS Gold races this year already.
“It’s the best scheme in the world from our perspective and people are mad not to sign up for VOBIS Gold.”
A few highlight lots from the Eliza Park draft include the half sister to the recent Peter Snowden-trained stakes winner Glows.
“The half sister to Glows (Lot 154 Churchill Downs x Lustre) is a really good mover and an impressive type. She looks an early moving type so she should bring in some early VOBIS Gold money,” he said.
“Our Bushranger x Abahlali colt (Lot 250) is not overly big but looks powerful like his dad. The stallion is already leading first season sire in Europe and we think he’ll be champion first season sire in the UK and Ireland. Bushranger (below) has only had four runners so far for two winners and one placegetter, so he’s all the talk in Europe. This colt has got good muscle mass and strength and looks like he’ll fly early.
“A late supplementary is the Duke of Marmalade and Royal Magenta colt who was passed in at Melbourne Premier. He is a high quality colt of premier standard.
“Our Von Costa de Hero x Knapton filly (Lot 141) was passed in at the Gold Coast because she was the last lot of the sale and no buyers were left. She’s light on pedigree but boy she’s a cracking type. She’s got a lovely outlook and is a really good mover.
“Lot 96 by Astronomer Royal x Cynical Lady is a strong-boned colt, more you’re bread and butter type and our Sharkbite x Coutcha Lookin colt (Lot 180) is a good mover and got plenty of good bone structure too which is typical of his sire. Sharkbite’s only had three runners so far and got his first winner last week in Newcastle, so he’s up and running.”
By Flying Spur out of the great mare Scandinavia, four-time Group 1 winner Magnus is a half brother to Wilander and to one of the world’s most valuable broodmares Helsinge, who has of course produced multiple Group 1 winning champions Black Caviar and All Too Hard.
“Magnus is going well and throwing nice types. Only 20 percent of his foal crop has run to date, so we’re looking forward to seeing what the other 80 per cent will do.
“He’s from such a lovely family and has plenty of numbers to come; we’re confident he’ll reach the next level.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.